Most developers create Website using the easiest techniques available but taking being more attentive and dedicate more time to it can make a big different for both search-engines and search-engine users searching on the net. Before starting it is also necessary to give dedicate some time to select the website hosting and domain name. When selecting the right hosting, one must make sure that it is reliable and has positive feedback from past clients which all together gives credibility to search-engines. On the other hand, while selecting the domain name for the website, it is important to identify the main keyword to represent the website. The main keyword/s may also be the company name, preferably only if the company name is the first researched word users search for to make use of the website.An example of such website would be http://www.toyota.com where users would use the term toyota directly instead of searching car. Please note that all information is taken from Website Structure for SEO provided by About SEO Malta
Creating the Web Site structure
- Use absolute URLs instead of relative URLs to create as many back-links as possible. An example of absolute URL is “http://www.domain.com/viewProducts.html” while relative URLs refer to links like “../viewProducts.html”.
- Use descriptive anchor text in links.
- Create a hierarchy between links in navigation.
- Never link a page to another page which is not related.
- If linking to an irrelevant/ not related page, use the nofollow attribute in link.
- The nofollow also stops PageRank from being passed along a link.
Creating a sitemap helps to better understand the content, layout and hierarchy of pages. It also enables search-engines to quickly find new or recently updated pages.
Make a Legitimate and trustworthy Web site
- Use the Robots.txt file to inform Google which pages to crawl and index and which to block Google from indexing.
- The Robots.txt file may also include a command to make it easier for search-engines to find the sitemap as it specifies the exact path.
The .htaccess file is a configuration file for Apache Web Servers used mainly to rewrite URLs & redirect traffic. It also offers various forms of protections such as banning specific IP addresses and creating password protected directories. The .htaccess may be created using a simple text editor and the command RewriteEngine On at the top of the page activates the mod_rewrite. Some useful features:
- Use the .htaccess file to Block Bad Bots
- Use the .htaccess file to Prevent Image Theft
- Use the .htaccess file to rewrite URLs and URIs as desired for easy readability.
- Use the .htaccess file to remove the problem with canonicalization (www and non-www).
For more information about each, or for details and examples on how to perform each design structure mentioned about, continue reading from the original article Website Structure for SEO .